One of my go to meals this summer – reminds me of spanakopita – a savory greek pastry dish with feta and spinach – but this is the pasta version.
One box of good quality fettucine
Extra virgin olive oil
One 5oz box of spinach (which actually cooks down a lot, so if you like more spinach go for 10 0z)
One large block of feta cheese in water (organic whole milk really tastes the best)
Crushed red pepper flakes
Chicken cutlets (I used 4 small for 2 people – adjust accordingly!)
- Wash and steam the spinach until wilted – drain and set aside in a large serving bowl
- Boil a pot of water and cook fettucine according to directions
- While pasta is cooking, heat evoo in a large saute pan – salt and pepper your chicken – cut into large strips and saute in EVOO until done
- Drain pasta,reserving 1/4 cup pasta water and place in bowl with spinach. Pour pasta water over pasta.
- Drizzle pasta with about 1/2 cup olive oil, and sprinkle liberally with seasalt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes – mix together
- Crumble that fresh feta on top – mix again
- Add the chicken – mix again
- If you love basil as much as I do, add a pile of chopped basil ribbons on top – serve and enjoy!I also served up a side of tomato salad – chop tomatoes, add red onion, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil and some yummy flavored balsamic vinegrette!